Nemasys® J contains the nematode Steinernema feltiae and effectively targets leatherjackets (Tipula spp.) in turf.
Advantages of using Nemasys® J:
- Nemasys® J can be used in organic systems or as part of an IPM programme
- Safe to users and the environment
- Nematodes survive up to approximately 4 weeks in the soil
Why Nemasys® J?
Nemasys® J is a biological insecticide containing nematodes of the species Steinernema feltiae, which occur naturally in the soil and when applied at the appropriate rate in Nemasys® J will effectively target and kill leatherjackets in turfgrass.
The nematodes attack the leatherjacket by entering natural body openings, releasing a bacteria which quickly and safely kills it. The nematodes then reproduce inside the dead grub and release a new generation of hungry nematodes, which disperse and search for further prey. Leatherjackets stop feeding and die as the nematodes spread throughout their body.
|Active ingredient(s)||Nematodes: species Steinernema feltiae|
|Pack size||250 million|
|Pest activity||Leatherjackets (Tipula spp.)|
|Rate of application||500,000 per m2|
|Application area treated||500 m2|
|Volume||0.1 L/m2 depending on pest|
|Soil temperature||Between 10°C and 30°C|
|Application method||Soil drench (via boom sprayer, knapsack, lance or sprinklers)|
|Application advice||Apply when leatherjackets are small and close to the soil surface, usually mid-late August to October |
Ensure soil under the turf is moist (or irrigate turf thoroughly before application) and irrigate after application; application during rain is ideal
Avoid applications in direct sunlight, evening applications are best
Do not exceed 300 psi/20 bar/2000 kPa pump pressure
Nozzle aperture should be greater than 0.5 mm
Suitable nozzles should produce a course spray at the intended application pressure
Make up the stock solution and mix thoroughly to ensure that the nematodes are well dispersed.
|Precautions||Upon receipt, use immediately or store in a refrigerator at 5OC|
Do not use product if past expiry date or incorrectly stored (do not freeze)
Use entire packet at one time, do not store diluted product
How do Nematodes work?
• Nemasys® J should be applied to the turfgrass at high volume when the leatherjackets are small and close to the suface.
• After application the nematodes attack the leatherjackets by entering natural body openings or by penetrating the pest cuticle directly.
• Once inside, they release bacteria that stop the leatherjacket from feeding, quickly killing the pest.
• They do not stop there. The nematodes reproduce inside the dead pest.
• They release a new generation of hungry nematodes, which disperse to hunt down further pests.
• When nematodes can no longer find a host pest, they will die back to their original numbers. The more pests there are, the better nematodes perform.