Nemasys® L contains the beneficial nematode, Steinernema kraussei and provides effective control of black vine weevil larvae (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) in soft fruit and ornamentals.
- Nemasys® L can be used in organic systems or as part of an IPM programme
- Safe to users and the environment
- Nematodes survive up to approximately 4 weeks in the soil
- No pest resistance problems
- Gives high levels of control between 5°C - 30°C
- Simply applied as a drench or through irrigation systems
- Protects root system preventing subsequent damage and plant loss, particularly for container-grown plants
- Larvae treated with Nemasys L will not develop into adult vine weevils, eliminating unsightly damage to the foliage (typical leaf notching)
Why Nemasys® L?
Nemasys® L contains millions of beneficial nematodes of the Steinernema kraussei species and provides effective control of black vine weevil larvae. Nemasys® L is formulated to work at cold and warmer temperatures which range between 5°C - 30°C. Nemasys® L will control black vine weevil larvae whenever they are active in the soil. This is important when a vine weevil infestation is identified late in the autumn or early in the spring and a control strategy is required.
Beneficial nematodes are naturally-occurring microscopic worm-like organisms. Applied as a drench or through irrigation systems, they provide an effective, rapid and safe solution to control black vine weevil.
|Active ingredient(s)||Nematodes: species Steinernema kraussei|
|Formulation||Water soluble gel (GW)|
|Pack size||50 million or 250 million|
|Crops||Soil or container grown crops including soft fruit and ornamentals|
|Pest activity||Vine weevil larvae (Otiorhynchus sulcatus)|
|Rate of application||Open soil: 1,000,000 nematodes per m2 |
Pots/containers: 500,000 nematodes per m2 Strawberry: 25,000 nematodes per plant
|Application area treated: 50 million pack||Open soil: 50 m2 |
Pots/containers: 100 m2
Strawberry: 2,000 plants
|Application area treated: 250 million pack||Open soil: 250 m2 |
Pots/containers: 500 m2
Strawberry: 10,000 plants
|Water volume||Open soil: 4.0 litres per m2 |
Pots/containers: 4.0 litres per m2
Strawberry: 100 ml per plant
|Soil temperature||Between 5°C and 30°C|
|Application Method||Soil drench (via boom sprayer, knapsack, lance or sprinklers)|
|Application advice||Apply when larvae are present (lift a few plants/remove from pots to examine root ball – untreated larvae are white) Apply to plants in moist soil/growing medium, in sufficient water volume to ensure the root ball is thoroughly treated Avoid applications in direct sunlight, evening applications are best|
Do not exceed 300 psi/20 bar/2000 kPa pump pressure
Nozzle aperture should be greater than 0.5 mm
Suitable nozzles should produce a course spray at the intended application pressure
Make up the stock solution and mix thoroughly to ensure that the nematodes are well dispersed
|Precautions||Upon receipt, use immediately or store in a refrigerator at 5°C|
Do not use product if past expiry date or incorrectly stored (do not freeze)
Use entire packet at one time, do not store diluted product
How do Nematodes work?
- Nemasys® L should be used to treat larvae of the vine weevils, which feed on the roots; the product is best applied when the larvae are relatively small. A second application may be required if more larvae subsequently hatch.
- After application the nematodes attack the larvae by entering natural body openings or by penetrating the pest cuticle directly.
- Once inside, they release bacteria that stop the larvae from feeding and which kill the larvae within a few days.
- The nematodes reproduce inside the dead larvae and release a new generation of nematodes, which disperse to hunt down further larvae.
- When nematodes can no longer find a host pest, they will die back to their original numbers. The more larvae there are, the better the nematodes perform.