Nemasys® J is a biological control which effectively targets young leatherjackets in turf.
- Effective natural control
- Feeding damage to the turf roots is prevented
- Efficacy persists for approximately 4 weeks in moist soil
- No pest resistance issues
Why Nemasys J?
|Active ingredient(s)||Steinernema feltiae (90%)|
|Pack size||250 million|
|Area treated||500 m2|
|Pest activity||Young leatherjackets (larvae of Tipula spp., craneflies)|
|Rate of application||500,000 nematodes per m2|
|Frequency of application||Two applications with a two-week interval|
|Time of application||Two weeks after a peak of craneflies (normally in August/September but can also occur in April/May)|
|Water volume||0.1 litre per m2. Water in with no less than 3 litres per m2 immediately after application|
|Aquatic buffer zone||None|
Why Nemasys® J?
Nemasys® J is a biological control product containing nematodes, which effectively controls young leatherjackets, which are larval stages of craneflies (Tipula spp.), in turfgrass. Feeding damage to the turf roots is prevented. It is compatible with IPM (Integrated Pest Management) systems. Nemasys® J persists for approximately 4 weeks in moist soils, thus protecting against newly emerging leatherjackets. There is no known resistance of leatherjacks to Nemasys® J.
How to get the best from Nemasys® J:
- Apply when soil temperature is between 10-30 oC
- Use immediately on receipt of packs or refrigerate at 5oC (do not freeze)
- Avoid application in direct sunlight; nematodes are uv-sensitive, so apply on a dull day or in the evening
- Cut the grass short before application and consider scarification in turf with excessive thatch
- Apply when the soil under the turf is moist
- Use within expiry date
- Use the entire pack and do not store stock solution or diluted product
- Make a stock solution as directed on the label, making a paste in the first instance and then adding remainder of the water, to avoid lumps forming; this solution should be mixed thoroughly to ensure nematodes are well dispersed and kept agitated
- Application is as a soil drench via boom sprayer, knapsack, lance or sprinklers, selecting the nozzle to give a coarse spray; the nozzle aperture should be greater than 0.5 mm
- Remove all fine filters (50 mesh or smaller) from the application equipment
- Partially fill tank with water, add stock solution, fill with water to the required level and maintain agitation
- Do not exceed 300 psi/20 bar/2000 kPa pump pressure
- Irrigate the turf thoroughly after application to wash the nematodes into the soil and keep the soil moist for at least two weeks after application
Disclaimer: photo kindly provided by Ward Stepman