Crystal is a herbicide with residual and contact activity for the control of black-grass, annual grasses and broad leaved weeds in winter wheat and winter barley.
- Particularly effective for black-grass control and the control of broad-leaved weeds
- Low risk formulation, particularly useful where there is resistance to ALS inhibitors
- Pendimethalin complements the grass weed activity of flufenacet
- Strong pre-em allows flexibility for the post-em follow-up
|Active ingredient(s)||60 g/l flufenacet and 300 g/l pendimethalin|
|Formulation||Emulsifiable Concentrate (EC)|
|Pack size||10 litres in outers of two|
|Crop(s)||Winter wheat and winter barley|
|Weed spectrum||A range of broad-leaved and grass weeds, including black-grass, annual and rough meadow grass, Italian and perennial ryegrass, loose silky bent, sterile brome, cleavers, chickweed, corn marigold, fat hen, forget-me-not, henbit and red dead nettle, orache, knotgrass, pansy, poppy, mayweeds, parsley piert, red dead nettle, scarlet pimpernel, shepherd’s purse, smooth sowthistle, common field and ivy-leaved speedwell (for full list see label)|
|Maximum individual dose||4.0 litres per hectare|
|Maximum total dose||4.0 litres per hectare|
|Latest time of application||Before third tiller stage (GS 23) of the crop. Do not apply pre-emergence to crops drilled after 30 November.|
|Water volume||200 litres per hectare|
|Aquatic buffer zone||LERAP B|
Crystal® has been found to give the best start to black-grass programmes, providing the crucial flufenacet partner as well as pendimethalin.
Crystal® is an emulsifiable concentrate containing 60g/l of flufenacet and 300g/l of pendimethalin. This herbicide has particular strength pre-emergence for the control of black-grass.
The flufenacet component in Crystal® provides the cornerstone for grass weed control whilst the pendimethalin component provides control of the key broad-leaved weeds: chickweed, poppy, mayweed, ivy and common leaved speedwell.
Pendimethalin complements the grass weed activity of flufenacet by providing strong residual control of later germinating weeds.
For best results with pre-emergence applications:
- Timing is crucial. Spray within 48 hours of drilling ideally on to moist, clod-free and consolidated seedbeds where seed is adequately covered by a suitable depth of settled soil
- Where drainage, seedbeds and seed depth are good Crystal® can be applied pre-emergence until the end of November. After which, apply Crystal® at one leaf of the crop, to minimise risk of crop damage by heavy rainfall
Excellent control of black-grass
In trials, the effectiveness of Crystal® was tested against Liberator®. Results showed a 9% reduction in black-grass headcount control relative to Liberator®.
Crystal® has been found to give the best start to black-grass programmes, providing the crucial flufenacet partner, as well as pendimethalin.
Control of ryegrass & brome
A pre and post-emergence spray programme is needed for best control of ryegrass and brome. Pendimethalin and flufenacet are two of the strongest pre-emergence actives, with pendimethalin having the best residual properties for these weeds. Having a strong pre-emergence active allows more flexibility for post-emergence follow-up.